This summer I learned to surf at Zuma Beach California. I joined the Malibu Makos Surf camp. First they give you wetsuits. On the beach the coaches give you a safety talk about the ocean. I learned alot of new things like how to watch for undertow and safely swim to shore.
Then it was time to get up on the board. The coach held the back of the board to keep it steady and I stood up. It takes alot of balance!
Finally I caught a wave on my own!
I had a great time learning to surf! I was nervous at first, but I had great coaches that taught me the steps and made it easy to learn. I look forward to surfing more next summer and getting better!
Have you ever tried something new that made you nervous at first?
Wow! Ben you are so brave. I live across the road from Waihi Beach in New Zealand and I am a teacher at Waihi Beach Primary school. I have always wanted to learn to surf. Some of the children in my class have been learning to surf this year and it is my mission this summer to learn. Great pictures too. I think the thing that makes me most nervous is standing up in front of a crowd and saying speeches. I am always worried people can see my legs shaking, my hands getting sweaty and then when I am really, really nervous I get a shakey voice too. I usually get over it by making jokes and ad-libing. From Jess Hardley.
ReplyDeleteHello Ben,
ReplyDeleteYou seem to have had a great holiday activity. I've had many surfing friends over the years and know you can have a great deal of fun, although I've never surfed.
I live in a coastal town in Australia. Like California, surfing is very popular here. We have an annual Mambo Surf Competition and there is a local surf club where people are trained as life guards. They even have a Nippers for children who want to take part but aren't old enough to be life guards.
During the main summer holidays, it can get busy in my town as people come to enjoy the beaches. I think you would find it much like California.
Ross Mannell (teacher)
Australia
You had a great time in this summer!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Ben,
ReplyDeleteI'm always trying new things with technology in my classroom. I remember the first time I used Skype. I was so nervous. Would the connection work? Would the other class be able to hear and see us? Would my students be too nervous to talk? Well, it worked out great and now I use Skype as easily as I use my cell phone.
I'm glad you learned about safety before you actually started surfing. It is important to know how to stay safe when you are beginning anything new. I tell my 4th graders that all the time when we start using an online resource. We always discuss how to use the resource safely.
Surfing is a great sport to learn when you are young because you can do it for years. Imagine how much better you will be as a surfer next summer. What other sports do you enjoy participating in?
Ms. Naugle
4th Grade Teacher
New Orleans, LA